The Rock River Current, an enterprising news startup that covers the Rockford, Illinois, region, is seeking an ambitious and digitally savvy reporter capable of delivering stories across multiple platforms.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated, deeply curious and capable of breaking down complex topics into easily digestible information. The role is suited for journalists with wide-ranging interests who will cover everything from local business to government, arts, entertainment, sports features and culture.
Our coverage runs the gamut from positive stories about local people to the latest economic development and examinations and explanations of the systems at play in our community without focusing on the daily crime, violence or arrest logs.
- Write 5-10 clean, accurate and thorough articles with photos per week in Associated Press style. The range of stories expected varies based on how much is dedicated to daily coverage and standing features or enterprise and investigative work.
- Create an average of one video story per week.
- Occasionally contribute to broadcast news segments with our radio station partners.
- Work with an editor to pitch and develop original stories.
- Work flexible hours that may include nights and weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation to get to story assignments.
Candidates should have at least two years experience in communications or journalism, which can include work at a college newspaper or internships.
- Salary range $28,000-$35,000 negotiable based on experience
- Health care and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and sick time
- 401K/stock benefits after one year
Send a resume, cover letter and three writing samples to Managing Editor Kevin Haas at email@example.com.
Rock River Current is owned by Mid-West Family Broadcasting, a locally owned and independent broadcasting company. We are an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified candidates.